[gst-devel] Source and sink for (My)SQL

Magnus Bergman magnus.bergman at observer.net
Mon May 19 09:31:03 CEST 2003

On 19 May 2003 17:40:13 +0200
Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be> wrote:

> well :)
>
> maybe you should tell us what you would want it to do.

I only need as a complement to filesrc/filesink simply to store files in a MYSQL database field. And every field has to be identified by a single text string. I made a property named location which takes a text string like this:

  [mysql://][[user[:password]@]host[:port]]/database/table/field/primary_key=value

(I know this is kind of an ugly hack and that it would be better to have separate proberties.)

> Being very creative, I'd imagine that mysqlsrc would:
> - have user, password, database as arguments
> - have a query argument, which when set would automatically trigger
> textual result of the query as data buffers
>
> But without knowing what you want to do with the plugin, it's hard to
> suggest stuff.

I think I've already implemented the features I need by now (only some bug hunting left). But I wondered if there were any features anybody else wanted from such an element. Perhaps search songs on a certain criteria (music style for example) and construct a playlist from that. I may not implement every suggested feature, but at least have them in mind. And I also think it is important it gets implemented in a consistent gstreamish kind of way.