[gst-devel] Streaming video across a network

Cameron McCormack clm at csse.monash.edu.au
Wed May 28 03:19:05 CEST 2003

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the list and gstreamer.

I'm currently looking at a couple of different programs/libraries to see
which one would best suit my needs.  And my needs are that I want to
have a LAN where each computer has multiple input sources,

  - video
    + from capture card
    + from files (DivXs, MPEGs, ...)
    + from DVD
  - audio
    + from sound card inputs (microphone, CD audio, ...)
    + from files (MP3s, ...)

and outputs,

  - video
    + to video card frame buffer (for TV-outing or displaying on a monitor)
    + to files (for storing captured video)
  - audio
    + to sound card ouptuts (speaker out, line out, S/PDIF out, ...)
    + to files (for storing capture audio)

so that basically any input source can go to any number of output
sources on the network at one time.

 From my casual looking, gstreamer seems to have a good framework to
allow me to do all this.  The only thing I am worried about is the
transport of the audio/video over the network.  I would like video and
audio quality to degrade gracefully if the network bandwidth is being
maxed out.

I was browsing the CVS sources and saw two network sink plugins: UDP and
RTP.  Now, the README for the UDP plugin pretty much said there's no QoS
at all in there.  How about RTP?  Will this do what I want to do?

Other needs I have (which aren't as important yet) are that I'd like to
be able to do this capturing and output on Windows as well as Linux.
Though the central computer on the LAN will be running Linux, it'd be
nice if the resources on the Windows computers could be used as well.
If gstreamer won't work on Windows as is, are there plugins that will
let me talk to NetMeeting or other video conferencing programs, or that
will simply let me push video and audio to a Windows PC to display/play?

Forgive my egregious sin of not reading thoroughly through the list
archives to see if my questions have already been answered.  :-)

Thanks,

Cameron

--
Cameron McCormack