[gst-devel] Streaming video across a network

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu May 29 06:50:01 CEST 2003

Hi Cameron,

In general, the idea sounds nice. I think we've got most of the
elements, though streaming video would probably require some more work
(our muxers aren't optimal yet), it's never been used in practice yet.

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 12:15, Cameron McCormack wrote:
> I was browsing the CVS sources and saw two network sink plugins: UDP and
> RTP.  Now, the README for the UDP plugin pretty much said there's no QoS
> at all in there.  How about RTP?  Will this do what I want to do?

I don't think any of them does QoS, currently.

If you're talking about something like divx5 (using the linux/windows
codecs from divx.com), you *cannot* change the bitrate (and thus
filesize) without reinitializing the lib. Since this recreates the divx
video data header, I don't think this is actually possible.

I'm not sure how this goes for audio, I'm less into audio, to be honest.

> Other needs I have (which aren't as important yet) are that I'd like to
> be able to do this capturing and output on Windows as well as Linux.
> Though the central computer on the LAN will be running Linux, it'd be
> nice if the resources on the Windows computers could be used as well.
> If gstreamer won't work on Windows as is, are there plugins that will
> let me talk to NetMeeting or other video conferencing programs, or that
> will simply let me push video and audio to a Windows PC to display/play?

Nope.

Some people have worked on getting Gst to work on Windows, but nothing
productive yet.

Of course, if you create a streaming video file (MPEG or so - note! AVI
is *not* streamable), the Windows computers will be able to read it.

HTH,

Ronald