[gst-devel] Problem connecting to ffmpeg encoders

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri May 30 14:39:06 CEST 2003

Hi Sebastien,

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 22:28, Sebastien Cote wrote:
> I'm playing with gstreamer and I was looking at how the plugins work.  Since
> ffmpeg implements most of the codecs, I'd like to be able to connect to the
> source pad of one of its encoders.  However, the mime type of the source pad
> seems to always be unknown/unknown.  The format property doesn't seem to be set
> either.  So how can the next filter know what type of media is coming out if the
> encoder?? (h263, mpeg4, etc).

In short, you can't. Someone needs to fix the mimetypes for this to
work. I'll see what I can do the next few days, but a lot of
encoding/muxing plugins need love and we'd better concentrate on
playback too, since Gnome wants a new 0.6.x release.

Anyway, see gstreamer/docs/random/mimetypes for a list of mimetypes per
media type, you can implement a few things yourself too, if you feel
like helping out. :).

Ronald