[gst-devel] Question about spiders and sinks.......

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Sat May 31 21:52:04 CEST 2003

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 09:44:27PM -0400, Bob Doan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to make use of "spider" and "fakesink" in order to get the
> total amount of seconds of songs.  However if I use spider and fakesink
> in my pipeline I can't get the total amount of time.  If I subsitute
> "spider" with "mad" for an MP3 it will give me the correct time.. or if
> I keep spider and replace fakesink with "osssink" I also can get the
> correct time...  Am I doing something wrong or is it not supposed to
> work??

You need to link spider to fakesink using filtered caps.  This
tells spider that you actually want audio samples to go to the
fakesink.  Fakesink will accept anything, so spider doesn't bother
converting the input the stream to audio -- it will just send the
input stream to fakesink unchanged.

A good starting point would be something like:

  gst_element_link_filtered(spider,fakesink,
    GST_CAPS_NEW("filter_caps","audio/raw",NULL));

dave...