[gst-devel] plugin breakage

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sat Nov 1 12:18:17 CET 2003

Hey,

> As you may know I rewrote quite a bit of the plugin initialization part
> in HEAD.

That's great.
> This unfortunately requires adapting every single plugin manually. And
> since I'm as lazy as anyone I'll just not fix gst-plugins all by myself
> but leave that up to you.
> So until all plugins are fixed, make in gst-plugins won't work.

That sucks.  While I want us to move along as quickly as anyone, I don't
think this is something we have to be doing all the time.  Either we
keep HEAD to ourselves, break it apart often, don't guarantee
compilation, and do what we want; or we open it up to the outside,
include it in the race to GNOME 2.6, and then we have to keep it at
least buildable at all times.

Since we all seemed to agree on getting our 0.7 to be the leadup to 0.8
to be in gnome 2.6, we thus need to keep it buildable.  This also means
that stuff like this which intentionally is breaking the build for
indefinate amounts of time is not acceptable; either they should be done
on a branch so they can be atomically commited to the main branch, or
they should be done by throwing patches around for developers to commit
locally.

There's a big gap between "having the freedom to experiment and rewrite
code" and "breaking the build intentionally".  Now that we all have
decided that we will focus on HEAD development, we need to make sure it
at least compiles :)

Thanks for the write-up on what to do, it's a good start.  But I'm a bit
afraid that it will take us a) more than a week to get gst-plugisn to
compile again and b) having multiple persons work on multiple plugins
will degrade the quality or coherency of the result...

Thomas