[gst-devel] cvs use

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Nov 3 04:42:06 CET 2003

If this leads to anything that slows down development, I'm totally against
it. If we get policies in HEAD like the ones we have in STABLE, that is
just stupid.
What I want right now is accelerated development because there is a
timeline to match.
The only thing to get this accelerated development and ironed out bugs is
to get our ideas out to the people. If everyone develops in his own branch
nobody tests his stuff. That sucks.
What we need is us actively using GStreamer and all the latest patches
that break stuff _right now_, not when they might be stable.
You probably don't know it, but from end of July to mid-September spider
did not work, unreffing was segfaulting with a 50% chance and there was
another blocker in the code.
It was perfectly well compilable though.

People only find bugs when they use code. And when more people use code,
more bugs are found.
So there's 2 things needed:
1) get your code into cvs HEAD.
2) use cvs HEAD as your main media framewrok (as I am apparently the only
one doing because all you sissies run Rb with stable or you would have
found those grave bugs in those 2 month (!) we had them.

If anybody policies committing to HEAD, there must be a _very_ good
reason. "It compiles with less errors" is the wrong reason, because it
guarantees nothing.

I don't want to spend 5 hours of my holidays fixing age-old bugs that are
only in the code because noone uses it. I'll happily fix new bugs though
that are introduced by new code.

Benjamin

PS: I'm going to merge tags directly into HEAD btw. Especially because it
breaks nothing at all and just extends functionality.