[gst-devel] "maintainer mode" vs "cvs mode"

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Thu Nov 6 12:47:10 CET 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 06:25:13PM +0100, in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de wrote:
> Hi guys,
> There's a question that just occured to me when browsing d-d-l:
>
> Now that quite a lot of people build from cvs directly, wouldn't it be better
> to have stuff like -Werror and all the things we do in "cvs mode" only be done
> in maintainer mode?

I want to hear about warnings/errors caused by strange setups.  For
the most part, we all use fairly similar toolchains.  If people
don't know about 'make CFLAGS=-Wno-error', it's about time they
learned.

> Or don't enough people use maintainer mode?

The --enable-maintainer-mode option in autoconf is misleading.  It
should be called --enable-i-might-want-to-touch-the-source, which
includes doing a 'cvs up' without rerunning autogen.sh.  IMO, it
should always be turned on, except for releases.

One thing we might want to make default, though, is --disable-static.
It would speed up compile times by a factor of 2.

dave...