[gst-devel] plugin breakage

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Tue Nov 11 04:22:11 CET 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Benjamin Otte wrote:

> 3)
> Pad templates and element details are added to the element's class
> structure in the base_init function.

As it is, you can still add pad templates during the class_init. Those
pad templates will still be inherited by subclasses (because the
template list is just copied over, by value), but they won't be reffed,
so you would need to ref them yourself.

So I'm not sure which one is better: the extra syntactic hassle of
making base_init functions or the hassle of going through the list and
individually reffing pad templates. When you have properties you
have to have a class_init, but there's not a real need for base_init, it
seems to me. As long as you can share pad templates just by reffing,
anyway.

Regards,

wingo.