[gst-devel] RGB caps

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Nov 26 05:07:03 CET 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 12:10, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> > > The current system already guarantees both of these.
> > No. Examples where two caps mean the same format:
>
> Yes. docs/random/mimetypes says that 24/32bpp is always in BE.

Hmmm, ok. Endianness has to stay then. ximagesink has to fix handling of
endianness though.

> > Now I only need an example for why we need depth.
>
> 32bpp, 24depth. If you use masks, that's not so much of a point, but I
> want to get rid of those masks. Please, let's remove these masks, at
> least for now. They're stupid.

I don't. If you just use a single mask, use gst/video/video.h to construct
your caps.
X and colorspace use these masks. That's 2 out of 3 big RGB plugins. Only
ffmpegs colorspace doesn't use them and I hate it already as it can't
convert to GDKs 32bit colorspace (RGBA).

So we can at least get rid of depth then?

Benjamin

PS: What about my alpha ideas?