[gst-devel] NMM

Mathrick mnews2 at wp.pl
Mon Oct 27 11:52:08 CET 2003

W liście z pon, 27-10-2003, godz. 14:20, Benjamin Otte pisze:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Karl Schmitz wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I read about the Network-Integrated Multimedia Middleware (NMM) and the Multimedia-Box in the german journal c't (issue 22), see www.networkmultimedia.org

[snip]
> > Now I was wondering what you gstreamer guys think about NMM ? Why should I develop for gstreamer and not NMM ?
> >
> Marketing question detected. ;)
> You should obviously develop for whatever suits your needs better.
> I looked at NMM the last week because someone pointed it out to me, but I
> have no idea where the differences between our architecture and theirs are
> (apart from programming language). It looked to me like GStreamer was
> quite a bit more generic.

Looks like it is, and I didn't find any mentions of typefinding /
autoplugging on their site, however there are examples of explicitly
requesting plugins by filenames - not very promising.

> And I'm missing a real life application where people are using it
> successfully and not just some nice screenies.
> It'd be nice if someone did a comparison though.

That reminds of something else - just how much of novelty are we on
traditional Unix systems, especially 'by defition' media-oriented SGI
Irix and such? I tried doing some searches, and found some mentions of
SGI's dmWhatever APIs, but these weren't described good enough to
compare them to GStreamer. Recently, some dm* based OpenML thing popped
up - anyone knows more about it? It would be nice to know if we are
competing with something already on other Unices, or rather filling the
gap.

--
Maciej Katafiasz <mnews2 at wp.pl>

No software patents in Europe! Sign today:
http://aktiv.ffii.org/eubsa/en