[gst-devel] RTP Client sussystem design.

Ramón García ramon_garcia_f at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 12:35:04 CEST 2003

Some misunderstandings.

Actually, the intention is that udpsrc-control is
independent of RTP. It does no parsing. It just
receives data from an UDP socket and delivers it to
the  rtp element and receives data in the form of
events from the RTP element and sends them to the
socket.

On the other hand, I am more and more convinced to
have
only one UDP element that would replace udpsink and
udpsrc and have both functions. The underlying network
connection supports sending and receiving data. So the
element should expose it. The advantadge is that
udpsrc-control would become redundant. It is a complex
concept. The fact that you didn't understand it shows
that it is confusing.

With regard to the idea of unifying RTP src and sink.
You say it is not necessary even in the case of
bidirectional communication through the same RTP
channel. You say that the application can create two
elements. In that case, these elements would be unable
to share state. Note that, for the purpose of sending
of peridical reports through RTCP, there is one RTP
session used for transmitting and receiving, not two
different sessions.

The idea about the server side is exactly that.
However, we must think about other issues.
Think in the case of multiple clients connecting to
the same server though unicast connections. Only one
udpsink sending to multiple destinations? One
dedicated per client? Or a dedicated RTP element for
every client? As ports are a limited resource, only
one udpsink element should be use. Otherwise, we would
need an UDP port to server each client. When a packet
(for instance, a report from a client) is received,
one can identify the client by asking the kernel. All
the clients are using the same port, but each of them
has (I think) a private RTP session. So the server
side RTP has to be a little more complex. Only one UDP
sink element, but multiple RTP elements. Each of them
sends a packet tagged with the destination, and the
udpsink delivers it.