[gst-devel] Status of A/V sync problems

Mathrick mnews2 at wp.pl
Sat Sep 6 09:32:08 CEST 2003

W liście z pon, 01-09-2003, godz. 22:21, Ronald Bultje pisze:
> Hey,
>
> On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 23:08, Mathrick wrote:
> > What is the current status of fixing problems with A/V sync present in
> > 0.6.x? I couldn't dig to relevant bugzilla entries, nor the posts. In
> > case it isn't already there, here's description:
> [..]
>
> I'm not aware of any such issue. Could you upload the movies somewhere?
> Please make sure it's not a CPU load issue or so. In that case, we're
> aware of it.

It's definitely not simple 'not enough CPU power' case (my box is Athlon
2000+ / 256MB DDR / TNT2 w/ NVidia drivers, Xv enabled). I even
restarted X to make sure[1], and it indeed occured, however I needed to
wait 3-5 minutes for it to become clearly visible. I don't think it's
specific to any particular file(s), it occurs on every movie I tried
(~20, ranging from 320x200 DivX 3, to 640x480 XviD & DivX 5, Low-res
Mpeg1 too[2]). In case of avi, video consistently goes ahead of audio,
in case of mpeg it's rather the opposite. Also, I tried on gst-player as
well as totem compiled for GStreamer, and it occured on both (I still
can't get gst-launch to work for me, so I couldn't have tested on that)
All of above applies to 0.6.3 from Debian. I haven't tried w/ HEAD yet.

[1] I apparently have some problems w/ my system, like X after 12h or so
starting to generate CPU usage peaks each 10s, which effects in every
X-clients & cursor 'freezing' for ~250ms - verry annoying. If someone
could help with these (i'm using Debian Sid), I would be very grateful.

[2]The problem is that in mpg I have either very short, carefully timed
videoclips, or loosely timed long ones, no 'normal' movies, so it's
harder to catch.

--
Maciej Katafiasz <mnews2 at wp.pl>

No software patents in Europe! Sign today:
http://aktiv.ffii.org/eubsa/en