[gst-devel] Ogg playback problem

Gisli Ottarsson gisli.ottarsson at mscsoftware.com
Sun Sep 14 14:37:05 CEST 2003

Greetings:

I have started using Rhythmbox extensively to play a very large
collection of Ogg Vorbis files ripped from my CD library.  This
generally works well and the sound quality is amazing, but on
occasion there is a fidelity problem which I will try to describe.

At random intervals (approximately every 20th song) the playback
will result in a distorted sound best described as "tinny".  The
sound is overlaid with high frequency distortion.  The level of
this distortion ranges from the barely audible to the overwhelming.

When the problem occurs, I can just jump to the next song and the
problem goes away.  Better yet, I can just hit 'Pause" and "Play"
in rapid succession and the song continues at high fidelity.

Another, possibly unrelated problem, which occurs much less frequently
is that the sound will be focused into one of the stereo channels
and become very dull.  The problem is cleared up in the same manner
as the one described above.

My collection consists nearly entirely of .ogg files with a handful
of .mp3 files in between.  It is possible that the problem would
also arise in conjunction with .mp3 files, but I have not encountered
it, perhaps only because I have so few.

Unfortunately I don't know a great deal about the sound system on my
machine, which is a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop.  The only clue I can
provide is that the maestro kernel module is loaded.  Linux kernel
version is 2.4.21-xfs (Knoppix) and gstreamer is from Debian package
version 0.6.3-1.  Hopefully the attached output from gst-feedback can
make up for my ignorance.  The feedback was gathered when rhythmbox was
playing normally.  I can only hope that file attachments are not a
violation of mailing list etiquette.

Help in solving this problem or in properly diagnosing it would be
welcomed.

Regards.

   Gisli