[gst-devel] make the filesrc deal with files whose size is growing

Christophe Fergeau teuf at gnome.org
Thu Sep 25 06:21:09 CEST 2003

Le jeu 25/09/2003 à 15:08, in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de a écrit :
> Stupid question: Does this break length querying, because elements/applications
> assume length to be fixed once queried?

If some other elements/applications cache the result of a length query
because they expect it to remain constant, they will indeed break. Otoh,
apps or elements caching the length will probably behave the same with
or without this change, they won't take into account the fact that the
file src length changes.

I don't know if there are parts of gstreamer relying on this length not
changing, that's one of the reasons of this email.

[some background on this patch, a bit off-topic] Originally, I wrote
this patch because I needed it for some work project using very simple
gstreamer pipelines. I thought I'd submit it on this list in case it
would be of interest, it's in no way a patch I took months to write
evaluating the impact of the change on all gstreamer elements and stuff.

Christophe