[gst-devel] [ANN] Warsaw Pakt 0.3

daniel fischer dan at f3c.com
Sun Sep 28 15:08:07 CEST 2003

"how it would work" is described in the manual ;). i plan to do a short tutorial-style introduction soonish...

for it's uses, well, i try to keep it generic in ways. one can think of a lot of different uses.

personally, i'm using it in context of my studies of "media design" for interactive installations and vjing. the point with vjing here is that i can use my old snuggly laptop to control my much more powerful "performance machine", via wlan from anywhere in the party. the performance box can be placed rather close to the beamer (or whatever display device), saving the all-so-missing long cables.

you could also think of multiple vjs controlling a single pipeline, a single vj controlling pipelines on multiple machines (and parties :), multiple vjs controlling multiple pipelines at the same time, and so on. yet, one of the basic ideas was for the vj to be able to setup a processing graph fitting his/her needs closely, and devising a performance interface in flash. i know a bunch of good flash coders, so in part i did that for those :)

another project i'm loosely involved in is "streaps/radiomatic", where we try to have a audio workshop platform for experimental music. the idea there is to be able to mix in your stream to the platform, and have "the community" decide on the mixer levels. it's currently done with a flash interface and a pd server, and on the long run i'd like to replace it with a pakt-run gst pipeline. (radiostudio.org/streaps)

one more main use would be the easy use of hardware devices (phidgets, sensors, the like) to control a gstreamer pipeline's properties. or, web-access to some installation, or to a video stream's properties.

it's 'just' network-access to gstreamer. the possibilities seem endless to me. APE is a prime example of a client, in that it tries to be a generic (gst-editor-like) pipeline editor. i didn't really expect this kind of stuff to happen that early, but if martin (the ape guy) wants to do this... why should i stop him? :)

i've had various "prototypes" of pakt, one, eg, was a clone of gst-launch that would publish all the pipeline's parameters to an OSC (OpenSoundControl) interface. some friends of mine, MAX/MSP-phreaks, then sent some parameters of their sound patch to my gstreamer video pipeline (using some ad-hoc homegrown plugins) for some artistic performance. it worked great, and pakt will enable the like.

the test server is not in fact down. it's just that APE is not up to the current version, martin will bring it up to speed during the next few weeks. i'm also working on a gtk interface.

also, i hope the tutorial will explain a lot of details on the serialization/deserialization process, and other stuff, when it arrives.

meanwhile, i'll gladly try to answer any questions here or in #gstreamer (as eladin).

-dan

ps: i hope this arrives on the list in time, my mail server seems to have some troubles with lists.sourceforge.net, delaying mails by 3 days...

Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org> (on Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:21:48 +0200):

--

---
dan at f3c.com