[gst-devel] python bindings

in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Sep 30 03:37:09 CEST 2003

Quoting Leif Johnson <leif at ambient.2y.net>:

> This is still a little too complex for my taste. I just looked in the
> gstreamer package and found an ElementFactory object, but it has no
> `make' or 'factory_make' or 'element_make' functions. Also,
> ElementFactory is abstract class. But nobody uses ElementFactory
> instances for anything except building elements, so I don't think this
> would be very useful as a concrete class. All we need is one function
> for creating elements, so I'd vote for something simple like
> gstreamer.factory_make() or possibly even just
> gstreamer.{make|create|build|...?}().

FYI, factories (in whatever kind they'll be used - I want typefind factories
for example) is an internal way in the core to represent plugin features. So
the only thing you can do with an element factory is 1) query abilities of
elements and 2) create elements.
Most applications only use 2) though. Spider makes extensive use of 1) though :)

Benjamin