[gst-devel] Undefined symbols

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmmv at menta.net
Sat Apr 3 09:59:06 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to get gst-plugins 0.8.0 working under NetBSD, but I'm getting
several problems.

It seems that some plugins need functions provided by others (for example,
gstmad needs gsttagedit because of the gst_tag_list_new_from_id3v1), so
a dependency between them should be marked in some way.  This error shows
itself when launching rhythmbox:

[dawn gstreamer-0.8] $ rhythmbox
/usr/pkg/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstvideoflip.so: Undefined PLT symbol "gst_videofilter_get_type" (symnum = 40)

Or for example, when running gst-register, I get:

added plugin volenv with 1 feature(s)
added plugin videoscale with 1 feature(s)
added plugin gstvideofilter with 0 feature(s)
/usr/pkg/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstvideoflip.so: Undefined PLT symbol "gst_videofilter_get_type" (symnum = 40)

I was able to fix the gstmad one (which showed in rhythmbox, too) by patching
its Makefile.in, like in:

-libgstmad_la_LIBADD = $(MAD_LIBS) $(ID3_LIBS)
+libgstmad_la_LIBADD = $(MAD_LIBS) $(ID3_LIBS) ../../gst/tags/libgsttagedit.la

so that it gets an explicit dependency on the other plugin, and gets loaded
at runtime properly.

Another problem arises in the audioscale plugin, which requires gstresample.

There are lots of plugins, and many of them fail; verifying those one by one
is a very tedious taks...  so I think there maybe something broken from the
ground up, as I assume it's working ok under linux (haven't been able to try
it, though).

Any idea what could be causing this?  Some differences in the way dlopen
(g_module_open) works?

Note that with 0.6, this problem did not exist...

Thanks.

PS: Reply directly to my email address, as I'm not subscribed to the list,
please.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv at menta.net>