[gst-devel] release

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Apr 13 14:30:33 CEST 2004

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 08:52:06PM +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Well, a bunch of stuff got commited and I must agree it's hard to tell
> whether or not we should consider head "safe" at the moment.  I've ran
> into some things that might be bugs, or regressions, depending on how
> you look at it.
>
> Today someone in the channel noticed - and I could reproduce - that oggs
> and spider make osssink fixate on mono even if the file is stereo, as
> opposed to mp3's that make it fixate correctly (#139929)

Pads often negotiate a format that is later renegotiated when more
information is found, particularly when the vorbis stream is
actually decoded.  See also bug #137556.

> I have had some spurious problems with the new oss probing code (which
> is quite a major change, how can we gauge the impact of that on all the
> hardware out there ?)  I haven't been able to reliably reproduce this
> bug, however.

Although I didn't run gstreamer and osssink directly, I ran the
oss_probe test program on about 10 different sound cards, and got
good results everywhere.  However, these were all pretty decent
hardware.  I expect bugs on crap hardware, but osssink in 0.8.0
is just differently buggy on such hardware.

I strongly encourage pushing 0.8.1 now.  We've (especially Benjamin
and Ronald) have fixed a ton of bugs since 0.8.0.

dave...