[gst-devel] Re: [Matroska-devel] Why porting Gstreamer to Windows would hurt Redmond .....

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Fri Apr 16 16:23:03 CEST 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 04:16:24PM +0200, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> Quoting Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org>:
>
> > And on that note - could you please let us know what else is causing
> > problems on Windows now that the debugging problem has been resolved
> > correctly (to the best of my knowledge, since I cannot test on Windows)
> > ?
> >
> According to David, Windows doesn't allow DLLs with undefined symbols. This
> means that our current linking mechanism (not linking to the core lib and
>
> AFAICS, the only way to solve that would be a redesign of the plugin linking,
> implementable with API compat without major headaches.

I already have the core mostly fixed for RTLD_LOCAL/-no-undefined
plugins on my local machine.  Basically, we'll need to have the
entire plugin style #ifdef'd in the core code and ifdef'd in the
plugin Makefile.am's, since the plugin linking is slightly different.
I'm hoping it won't really be that gross.  On Windows, you'll
have to use the new style, and on Linux, you'll have the option
of using either style (with the obvious caveat that you won't
be compatibile with everyone else if you use the new style.)

dave...