[gst-devel] Bug or newbie problem with gstreamer-0.8.1

John Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Sun Apr 18 10:10:00 CEST 2004

I'm afraid I'm still having a problem with my first experiment with
GStreamer (now 0.8.1) - a C program (attached) cut down from the very
useful gst-plugins/examples/seeking/seek.c, which I build with the
command:

$ gcc -Wall `pkg-config gstreamer-0.8 --cflags --libs` main.c -o play

This toy example is meant to play an MP3 file until halfway through the
track is reached, and then seek to start over. What actually happens is
that it plays until halfway but then fails to seek(0) and then enters an
infinite loop with no sound. It works as I expect under 0.7.3 but not
under 0.8.0 and 0.8.1.

$ ./play music.mp3
debug: duration 15159000000nS
iterate, position 470204081
iterate, position 731428571
iterate, position 992653061
iterate, position 1227755102
iterate, position 1488979591
iterate, position 1750204081
iterate, position 2011428571
iterate, position 2272653061
iterate, position 2507755102
iterate, position 2768979591
iterate, position 3030204081
iterate, position 3291428571
iterate, position 3552653061
iterate, position 3787755102
iterate, position 4048979591
iterate, position 4310204081
iterate, position 4571428571
iterate, position 4832653061
iterate, position 5067755102
iterate, position 5328979591
iterate, position 5590204081
iterate, position 5851428571
iterate, position 6112653061
iterate, position 6347755102
iterate, position 6608979591
iterate, position 6870204081
iterate, position 7131428571
iterate, position 7392653061
seek to 0 on pad queue:src
iterate, position 7627755102
seek to 0 on pad queue:src
iterate, position 7627755102
seek to 0 on pad queue:src

Any suggestions about how to debug this? (Ok, the audio_seek() list
traversal is over-general, as there's only one seekable pad to be sent a
seek event, but it reflects the original 'seeking' code.)

Incidentally, what is 'g_object_set (G_OBJECT (osssink), "fragment",
0x00180008, NULL);' meant to do? It doesn't appear to affect what
happens. I notice that some of the routines in 'seeking' comment it out,
and some don't.

John A. Murdie