[Matroska-devel] Re: [gst-devel] Re: audio/mpeg4 muxer

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Apr 21 10:34:03 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:
> Benjamin Otte wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, ChristianHJW wrote:
> > > BBB's matroska muxer plugin should work for the creation of MKV's
> > > already, but we recently found a couple of bugs in it. Before using
> > > it for a final backup file, i recommend to wait until then.
> >
> > here's bug reports about that?
>
> Nope, i guess spyder482 decided to fix them rather than filing a bug
> report ;-) ..... let see how he is coming along, diving through BBB's
> code, and making his way through the Linux dungeon ...

I'd rather see bug reports either way. I told this to John as well when I
Replied to his email. Bug reports are the primary way of communicating
code in the GNOME world.

[..]
> Hmmm ..... as much as i love the fact that Gstreamer has a matroska
> muxer while it doesnt have a MOV/MP4 muxer yet at a first glance, the
> more i feel we urgently need those if we want Gstreamer to be
> established as THE opensource multimedia framework.

There's loads of things needed, and a .mov/.mp4 muxer is just one of them.
(a.k.a. feel free to write one. ;) ) I myself am more interested in DVD
encoding (and have all necessary tools for that integrated in GStreamer
already).

Note that there's ffmpeg muxer, but disabled. The code has been used to
mux MPEG files, and worked fine. The problem is that for each format,
there's some specific code and such needed, and I didn't bother to add
that because of the low amount of interest vs. high amount of work +
testing. It will require little work, however, to make it work
specifically for .mvo/.mp4. The module is called gst-ffmpeg and you can
enable those muxers by editing ext/ffmpeg/gstffmpeg.c and uncomment the
line that registers the muxers. Recompile, re-register and you're done.

Note that I don't provide support for those, they're disabled for a
reason. ;).

Ronald