[gst-devel] blocking vs. non-blocking io in elements ?

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Apr 26 04:20:01 CEST 2004

Hi,

While testing/writing pipe support in file*, I noticed we do all our I/O
in elements in blocking mode.  For normal files this isn't much of an
issue; for other files (pipes, sockets) this might be a problem,
though.  It causes elements to block in their state_change functions.  I
don't know if we have a policy for that ? Should we prefer blocking
mode, or use non-blocking mode in these cases ? If we do, how should it
work ? Maybe this was documented somewhere at some point, but  I didn't
find anything relevant, and I'd prefer some general policy so that the
tcp elements don't have to be too different from fdsrc/filesrc ones.

Thomas

Ooh child I'll meet you child
On the sunny side it's alright