[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] thomasvs gst-plugins: gst-plugins/ gst-plugins/sys/v4l/

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Tue Apr 27 12:06:03 CEST 2004

Hi,

apparently I badly misunderstood the use of g_alloca(). Shame on me.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> It's just a first pass at trying to fix the issue with the hints you
> gave me :)

Good enough, but not perfect and therefore I'm giving the comment. ;). It
doesn't need fixing yesterday, it's just something we'll want to do
eventually.

> It's probably even better to use a pre-alloced array, enough for every
> frame that the driver can buffer.  Esp. since it's small.  That way you
> don't have any overhead anymore.

Probably.

And for Dave: I know we're not realtime, but we can aim to make it as
realtime as possible. In this case, the amount of g_malloc()s can be
greatly reduced without complicating code. That should be worth doing,
even if we don't aim to be 100% realtime. I'm really not trying to make
all buffer allocations realtime, I'm not that far off the world yet.

Ronald