[gst-devel] channel configuration

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Apr 27 18:20:03 CEST 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:37:03PM +0200, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> The second is to take the Matroska approach, where every channel has a
> degree-number associated with it, which is the number of degrees (0-360)
> from the center front speaker (point-of-origin). This is harder to
> implement, especially because of the theoretical option that the
> left-front-speaker in the audiosink is located slightly differently from
> the intended left-front speaker position in the audio source. The buffer
> has a similar layout as in the previous proposal, except that the order
> of samples is as given in the array of channel positions instead of
> simply left-to-right, front-to-rear-to-lfe.

I like this better.  The only issue I see is for channels that don't
have a spatial location, such as a subwoofer channel.  What does
matroska do about this?  Are there other non-angular issues

To address your issue, we could use this system, but have a policy
that FL and FR sources are at -30 and +30.  (Eh, depending on the
sign convention -- again, what does matroska use?)  Or, you could
convince a local audio expert to write a converter from one spatial
layout to another. :)

dave...