[gst-devel] string transforms for GObject properties

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Apr 28 13:44:09 CEST 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, daniel fischer wrote:

> glib has a mechanism to register value transform functions,
> so i think it would be nice if i'd supply those to_string and
> from_string for my 'proprietary' properties, and gstreamer would just
> use those when setting the element's properties from gst-launch.

As David said, the launch parser needs to be made to use the deserialize
code if possible. It just was never done because noone cared about it...

Keep in mind that transform functions cannot do what you want in a
correct way, because transform functions never fail, which makes them a
really bad choice for conversions from strings that users supplied on the
command line.

Benjamin