[gst-devel] multi-channel, try#2

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Fri Apr 30 12:54:00 CEST 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:47:18PM +0200, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> So, I do a new proposal: GstCaps carries a "channel_positions" property,
> which is an array of strings of size gst_structure_get_int ("channels").
> The strings indicate channel positions. Those could also be enums
> (defined in gst/audio/audio.h), I don't really care. We'd have enums
> like in faad.h, so left-front, right-front, center, left-side,
> right-side, left-rear, right-rear, back, LFE. Think of it as your keypad
> keys, you're the 5 and all numbers around you are possible channel
> positions.

This requires an additional GstValue type that represents a list
that is not a list of choices.  In addition, it may require
changes to the parser to handle an additional list format.

The existing GstValueList cannot be used because it is always an
unfixed field.  channel_positions needs a list that is a fixed
field.

At this point, it may be wiser to use a string like "LF,CF,RF,LR,RR,LFE"
than add an additional GstValue.

dave...