[gst-devel] splitup proposal

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Aug 2 03:58:03 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> > Another criterium I'd like to add is "binaries distributable as LGPL".
> > (This obviously includes "or more free".)
>
> Ok.  Why would you want this btw ?

So I'm able to say "You can use all plugins from this package in any of
your apps, no matter what the license", whcih we currently cannot say for
gst-plugins, because it contains random plugins that are GPL in the end
and theoretically might not be used by non-GPL apps.

> > Would it make sense to change the name from gstreamer-plugins to
> > gstreamer-multimedia, gstreamer-codecs or similar? I thought about
> > something that emphasizes that GStreamer is about streaming and the
> > multimedia capabilities are part of those packages.
>
> That would indicate we'd put non-codec-stuff in yet another package ? I
> wouldn't make it even more complicated just yet.  A simple 2x2 will be
> the easiest to manage for now; we can still see how it pans out later
> on.

I just thought about emphasizing that gst-plugins is not a
general "plugins", but "multimedia plugins" or "audio/video plugins".
There's no support for comedi style plugins or net emulator plugins in
there. (I still need to get my uni to port their emulator to GStreamer,
especially because they emulate video transmissions.)

Benjamin