[gst-devel] Gstreamer man pages

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Fri Aug 6 01:14:05 CEST 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Brian Cameron wrote:

> Gstreamer developers:
>
> Here at Sun we need to create man pages for the various programs that
> Gstreamer installs.  I have gone through the various gstreamer man
> pages and updated them where appropriate.  I have created a
> gst-std-options.5 man page as a holding place for common options
> so that programs that use gstreamer can reference it (like totem
> and gnome-sound-recorder - aside from the gst programs themselves).
>
> Please review and let me know if you have any comments/suggestions.

I've gone through the programs I know - gst-inspect, gst-typefind and
gst-launch - and adapted them a bit, the result is attached (yes, I would
have sent a diff, if I could have gotten AIX diff to produce one).

particularly:
- gst-inspect defaults to an element, if a given name is valid for both a
plugin and an element. Currently there is no way to gst-inspect a plugin
if an element of the same name exists.
- gst-typefind allows to give multiple files as arguments, not just one.
- GStreamer does not use the MIME type system, but a type system that is
modelled like it. This is important when people start wondering why their
mp3 files are identified as "application/x-id3"

I didn't look at gst-launch in detail since I assumed you just kept the
contents and just reformatted it. Is that correct?

When you're done with them, fell free to merge them back into our CVS
repo, minus the attributes part of course.

Benjamin