[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] jdahlin gst-plugins: gst-plugins/ gst-plugins/sys/v4l/

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri Aug 13 10:24:04 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Johan Dahlin wrote:
> > So fix it. Don't break applications, plugins and everything to hide the
> > fact that you think GstImplementsInterface should be done differently.
>
> It's not fixable. It's broken by design. Using GInterface directly is
> the proper solution.

And how do we do runtime checks then? That's what GstImplementsInterface
solves. Nothing more than that. GInterface doesn't solve it, so we need
something else. What alternative solution did you have in mind?

XOverlay is not implemented by each video4linux device. Not every bktr
device implements a tuner. Not every OSS device implements a mixer. And
since we cannot know before opening the device, it simply returns "no" at
that point in time.

Ronald