[gst-devel] GStreamer-lite -- a stable API for a few years?

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Sun Aug 15 06:56:02 CEST 2004

There was some talk on IRC today about the possibility of in the 0.9 / 0.10
time frame coming up with a limited API that could be kept binary
compatibility and would be suitable as a long term development platfrom
(several years).

This would abstract away the GStreamer internals and provide something that
would be stable enough for inclusion in either the GNOME or KDE development
platforms.

I've mentioned in the past that one of the biggest issues for KDE using
GStreamer in KDE 4 will be source / binary compatibility -- that's something
that we'd need to rely on for several years.  This interface could of course
be expanded, but initially a solution just for playback of audio and video
would suffice.  Christian and I will be doing a talk on GStreamer at the KDE
conference a week from today, and being able to mention something like this
would certainly be helpful.

Is anyone interested in working on something like this?  I'd love to
volunteer, but unfortunately I know that I'd probably be bad at living up to
it due to my commitments elsewhere.  However if something like this does come
about I will write Qt / KDE bindings for it.

Thoughts?

-Scott