[gst-devel] 0.9 proposals

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Thu Dec 2 11:40:04 CET 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 05:38:50PM +0100, Wim Taymans wrote:
> push and pull will always return with a return value, which can be
> GST_FLOW_WRONG_STATE if the element performed a state change in the
> get/chain function. Also pushing a buffer to a non negotiated pad will
> return with an error code so that the plugin can shut down properly or
> recover.

Please note that this needs to be designed in the context of
splitting element state into two parts: "what the app wants to
happen" and "what the element thinks is happening", with the
former being under the sole control of the app, and the latter
being under the sole control of the element.  The core schedules
based on what the element thinks.  Everyone I've talked to about
this seems to agree that this change is possibly the highest
priority in 0.9.

dave...