[gst-devel] 0.9 proposals

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Dec 6 01:49:00 CET 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, David Schleef wrote:

> b) demuxers will all share similar or identical states, and thus
>    could have the same structure or even share code.

This is one of the most important goals for the future gst-plugins
development. We must definitely write more base classes so we can share a
lot more code between elements.

To this day new elements are done by copying code of an existing element
and replacing some function calls. All audio sinks look basically the
same. The same holds true for a lot of filters.

I'm not sure how much code we save when doing this for demuxers, but when
I did it "just for fun" with video sinks (SDL, X and Xv), it was very
significant.

And yes, it's hard, because it requires inventing clean interfaces that
actually do work.

Benjamin