[gst-devel] Porting Gstreamer to win32

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Tue Feb 3 22:56:08 CET 2004

Hi Sanjay,

Sanjay, Addicam V wrote:

>Is there some reference to this activity on the corecodec.org site or anywhere else.
>Thanks
>Sanjay

Nope, there isnt. Actually, porting gstreamer is part of our plan to
create a nice, x-platform video editing tool. The purpose of this video
editor, we didnt make big secret about this, is to make sure that
matroska container is an option for the users, amongst other more well
known containers ( MPEG, MP4, AVI, etc. ) we are planning to support
from it. I dont know if this is a reason to be ashamed about, but i hope
everybody understands that we are primarily working to help our project
with this, as we know a missing editor is currently the biggest obstacle
for people to use MP4 more frequently, and many still stick to AVI
because of that.

It has always been our preferred method to invite other developers with
similar goals to join the project, we did the same with matroska that
time when the specs were about to be freezed ( of course, without
reactions from any side as you may know ;-) ). So i made an announcement
on Hydrogenaudio.org and Doom9.org, the biggest video and audio
communities in the internet we know of. Reactions from people were quite
astonishing for us, some didnt like our preferred license, others told
us to shut up and stop advertising 'unfinished vapourware' and the like.
The author of a pretty well know video editor for Windows ( normally a
very polite guy ) even told me in a private message to  'Shut up and
code' , adding that he thinks we have no idea what we are trying to do
here, and that this is anyhow beyond the capabilities of the matroska
team. Because of all this very nice reactions ( well, some were *really*
friendly ), we more or less decided to make development of this in the
background, without big announcements on the homepage or the like. I
hope this is somewhat understandable now.

If you have things you liked to discuss with robux4, the chief developer
behind the porting, i recommend to meet him on IRC, either #gstreamer or
#matroska on irc.corecodec.com . BTW, robx4 decided to use the gstreamer
CVS for his patches, but dont ask me about detials. Looking forward to
talk to you, one way or another.

Christian