[gst-devel] clocking

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Feb 5 07:25:03 CET 2004

El lun, 02-02-2004 a las 22:37, Andy Wingo escribió:
> Hi,
>
> It seems gst_clock_id_wait_async was deprecated somewhere along the
> line. I used it in soundscrape to tell me when a certain time had
> passed, so if for instance I was rendering a stream to disk I could know
> when to stop.
>
> But looking closer, it seems we're going into 0.8 with a really confused
> clocking situation. gst_element_wait uses gst_clock_id_*, but for some
> reason has to put its own prototypes into gstelement.h. This new
> function uses deprecated old ones. Useful functions have been deprecated
> with no replacement. The only docs we have are a tentative document in
> random/ with lots of FIXMEs and unresolved questions.
>
> I don't do video/audio sync or anything, but I'm sure that situation is
> fine as otherwise the whole world would be bitching. But I guess my
> question is, what are we doing headed towards 0.8 with deprecated API?

I have the same mixed feelings.  I hope that in the future we can stop
deprecating/tearing apart old stuff without a good explanation of what
was wrong/unfixable with the old design, and a good design for the
future so everyone can help in validating and fixing.

Some important things that could be clocking-related (but nobody seems
to be able to tell) are still not fixed (mpeg playback, next/next in the
player, ...).
We should decide to either revert to the old situation (the enemy we
know) or make sure these bugs get fixed ASAP and we have a decent design
for it that more than one person can understand.

> BTW: I consider either the deprecation of id_wait_async or the lack of
> gst_clock_wait_async to be a 0.8 blocker.

Agreed.

For the record, 0.8 is slated for beginning of march.

Thomas

I'm so boring my clothes wanna keep
somebody else warm someone cooler