[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] wingo gstreamer: gstreamer/ gstreamer/gst/ gstreamer/testsuite/ gstreamer/testsuite/ghostpads/

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Thu Feb 5 17:07:39 CET 2004

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 05:31:34PM -0700, Brett Kosinski wrote:
> > > Then, once more with feeling, how the heck can bindings properly marshal
> > > parameters in signal callbacks without resorting to special casing for
> > > ever damned signal in the library?
> >
> > You don't.  And you only have to special-case some signals.
>
> Which ones?  Just the ones with GPOINTER as the type?
>
> Plus, if it's a signal emitted by some custom plugin somewhere, am I
> forced to write special case code for that specific plugin?

Yes, probably.

You can reasonable get away with checking all G_TYPE_POINTERs to
see if they're pointers to GstCaps or GstStructure.

We could also possibly create a special GType especially for
marshalling GstCaps the way we want.  I'm not sure that will work
for all types marshalled in this way, though.

> Well, Gtk doesn't seem to have this problem, so I'm a little confused as
> to why this issue is unique to Gstreamer.

GStreamer's internals are considerably different than Gtk+'s.  In
particular, we have a number of structures that are not objects that
are thrown around in signals.

dave...