[gst-devel] documentation - request

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Sat Feb 7 07:06:03 CET 2004

Hi Andy,

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 20:01, Andy Wingo wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 10:21, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> > * python (appendix_python.xml)
>
> Um, what do you really want to do here? I mean, aside from python, there
> are two C++ bindings, a ruby binding, maybe some others, and last and
> GREATEST the guile binding. (These days I'm shedding false pretenses of
> modesty :) And as far as I know, guile is the most advanced wrt making
> actual plugins, although it needs to integrate with guile-numeric. (See
> sinesrc.scm in gst-guile/examples/gstreamer/.)
>
> So perhaps it would be better to be language-agnostic here.

Originally, I didn't know if any language other-than-python implemented
plugin writing. Worse yet, I've (until recently) always assumed that
they only wrapped the application API, not the plugin API (I know
there's a gray area here, but you get the point I'm trying to make ;) ).
I noticed the python chapter so just assumed it aws the only language
(ignorance ;) ). If there's more languages than just python implementing
plugin API: please add them here, with some specific notes (if needed),
general references to information on the language, maybe some simple
plugin example code, that sort of stuff... It's currently a chapter on
python, it's probably fairest to make it a chapter on bindings with a
sect1 on python, a sect1 on guile, a sect1 on ..., etc.

Ronald