[gst-devel] Proposal for new UDP src element.

Ramón García ramon_garcia_f at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 11:02:02 CET 2004

After being very busy I want to continue with this
project. Before continuing with RTP, I need a new UDP
source element. The existing one lacks important
funcionality, for instance, it does use the control
data from the control port for its own use, thus
making imposible to use it for RTP.

This is the proposal.

Properties of the UDPsrc element:

local_address
local_address_str

data_port
control_port

remote_addresses
remote_addresses_str

Properties ending in _str are "stringified" so that
the element can be used in gst-launch.

An address is represented as

struct network_address {
  enum {IPV4, IPV6, NAME} type;
  union {
    struct sin_addr ipv4_addr;
    struct sin6_addr ipv6_addr;
    const char* name;
  };
};

A list of addresses is represented as a GList of
struct address.

Behaviour:

The element receives data packets through an UDP
socket . If the packet belongs to any of the addresses
in the list of remote addresses, then the packet is
send to the pipeline. Control packet are delivered as
events to the pipeline. In addition, the element
accepts events, and converts then to packets sent
though each one of the remote addresses.

This is a draft, of course many features are
debatable.

Ramon