[gst-devel] library functions not returning

Leif Johnson leif at ambient.2y.net
Tue Feb 17 14:51:32 CET 2004

Hi all -

My new laptop is finally in working order, after an unfortunate
partition table incident ...

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 10:12, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Today I was working on robustness of spider/GStreamer on random input
> files.
>
> One pipeline triggered an endless loop in the pixbuf loader; I gave it a
> .gz file, and the rsvg library implementing a pixbuf loader had an
> endless loop on closing the pixbuf loader.
>
> The upstream bug for this is fixed; however, this sort of bug reflects
> badly on us since it's not very obvious that this is a bug in a
> supporting library.

I've found a similar issue through using sound-juicer : For the most
part, it works wonderfully (thanks, all !) but I came across one CD that
has a small but deep scratch on it, which froze sound-juicer because the
underlying cdparanoia process blocked waiting for SCSI I/O.

Sound-juicer, however, didn't do anything about this (no warning
dialogs, etc.)---it just froze, wouldn't even redraw itself, I assume
because the cdparanoia plugin didn't flag anything to the app. It's
frustrating as a user to have an app just freeze up for no apparent
reason, without any feedback. So along Thomas' lines, is there any way
we could modify the cdparanoia plugin so it might be more aware of
errors like this ? Or perhaps, on an application level, sound-juicer
could use some sort of watchdog thread ?

leif

--
Leif Morgan Johnson : http://ambient.2y.net/leif/