[gst-devel] library functions not returning

in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Feb 18 06:38:22 CET 2004

Quoting David Schleef <ds at schleef.org>:

> > So along Thomas' lines, is there any way
> > we could modify the cdparanoia plugin so it might be more aware of
> > errors like this ?
>
> Yes, but imo it would be smarter to add such capability to GStreamer,
> not individual elements.

I don't think the correct solution to work around a problem in a library is to
fix it anywhere else, ever.
GStreamer (at least not the core) is not a framework for debugging or working
around broken libraries. So I'd be very reluctant to include code that messes
with signals and does stuff to stacks.
And it is low level and we suck a lot at low level programming especially wrt
portability. For proof witness our cothreads.

I wouldn't mind adding a "wrapbin" plugin or something, I just don't think it
should be part of the core.

Benjamin

PS: Are there debugging libs tat are capable of doing this already?