[gst-devel] library functions not returning

in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Feb 19 06:14:29 CET 2004

Quoting Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org>:

> Personally, I don't mind too much not shipping the gdk_pixbuf plugin,
> but I'm sure others would like it.  Same goes for cdparanoia.

The gdk-pixbuf plugin is ok. They are supposed to work ok. Enough applications
load images with those at least. Disabling gdk-pixbuf typefinding sounds like
a good idea for lots of reasons though. Especially because it doesn'T really
buy us anything.

> Perhaps we should.  I consider them less critical, since these actually
> tell you what's going on.  An infinite loop doesn't tell you anything,
> which I consider far worse than a segfault.

I don't know. An application that just disappears (or in the gnome case opens
a dialog box) is as much wrong as an application that doesn't repaint.
Though it sounds like a good idea for sound-juicer to install a control thread
unless someone gets GStreamer good CD/DVD reading plugins.

> Anyway, my current concern is more to guard against infinite loops where
> they have turned up, and only there.  I'm not sure (yet) we should start
> checking all signals everywhere all the time.  Maybe we should if we
> understand them better.

I don't think we should. GStreamer is not about working with broken code. But
we should get stuff fixed upstream if that's possible. (Aparently for gdk-
pixbuf it was a no-brainer, dunno about cdparanoia though because that one
seems kinda dead)