[gst-devel] clocking

in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Fri Feb 20 03:31:09 CET 2004

Quoting Ronald Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, David Schleef wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 03:15:20PM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > > - a change between PLAYING -> PAUSED -> PLAYING should be inexpensive
> > For a number of ideas that I've been thinking about recently, I've
> > felt it would be useful to essentially merge PLAYING and PAUSED, and
>
> I'm not sure about this.. Some hardware-elements (particularly (v4l and
> v4l2) need this for internal buffer handling.

The only real difference between PAUSED and PLAYING is that time is only
progressing in the PLAYING state.
Another difference - but this one is artifical - is that buffers may only be
passed when the pipeline is in PLAYING.

The problem to solve when merging/changing behaviour in these states is what
elements are supposed to do that handle data based on time.
If someone figures that out, it's fine with me :)

Benjamin