[gst-devel] clocking

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Fri Feb 20 04:16:15 CET 2004

Hey Benjamin,

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004, in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de wrote:

> > > BTW: I consider either the deprecation of id_wait_async or the lack of
> > > gst_clock_wait_async to be a 0.8 blocker.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> You're free to undeprecate it.

I think I'm going to do this, if there are no outcries, just because the
API coverage is more complete.

> FWIW, async waiting was always optional for clocks to implement. Just pretend
> no clock implements it.

Indeed it's optional. It is necessary, however, for the case where the
app runs in the same thread as the pipeline and it does things while
it's waiting for the time. That's why GstAudioClock implements it (for
oss plugins, sndfile plugins, and esd at the moment). I hope this
convinces you of its usefulness :)

Wingo, whose emails are always asynchronous.