[gst-devel] question about channel handling of volume plugin

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Wed Feb 25 10:23:20 CET 2004

Quoting Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at urgent.ugent.be>:

> The volume plugin advertises 1-MAXINT as number of channels it can
> handle on src or sink pads.

No, it doesn't. It advertises the same number of channels on the src and sink
size based on the element it is connected to.

> Of course, it doesn't do channel conversion, it just means that whatever
> the channel count, it can change the volume, given the understanding
> that channels on src and sink are the same.
>
> Volume is not capable of and should not be capable of converting from
> any to any number of channels, so this is a bug.
>
> My question is, what is the right way to fix this ?

I can't see a bug.

Unless you think that the gst-inspect output should somehow show the way it
computes the caps of a given pad. Which might be an intereasting idea, but
it's not what gst-inspect outputs.

Benjamin