[gst-devel] clocking

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Feb 26 14:57:15 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 23:26, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> If you haven't heard scrubbing, there's no point in speculating if it
> could be.  Listen to what it is.

I know what scrubbing is. And I'm convinced that our seeking *protocol*
is well able to handle it.

I've done MBs of byte-per-byte write-seek-write header writing
(filesink) using this protocol, and I've done the same using buffered
writes and no seeks. There is *no* slowdown at all, even with our
protocol. So until someone really *proves* that our protocol indeed
slows down seeking so much that scrubbing (or other such operations)
becomes impossible, my point shall stand...

Surely, I know that filesrc ! my_cute_filter ! { queue ! { queue !
my_cute_filter_again ! queue } ! { { queue ! ... actual_demuxer [..]
will not be very fast. But that's not a realistic approach. I'm assuming
(series of) filesrc ! actual_demuxer. And then, seeking is a protocol,
nothing more. It looks complicated, but the actual code being exeuted is
nothing.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer