[gst-devel] Re: bufferpools

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Thu Jan 8 15:54:02 CET 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 12:03:48AM +0100, Julien MOUTTE wrote:

> > The hard part is going through each element, and every time it
> > allocates a buffer using gst_buffer_new_and_alloc () that is then
> > sent to a sink pad, the call should be replaced with
> > gst_pad_alloc_buffer (sinkpad, offset, size).
>
> does that means fixing the way all plugins allocate buffers ?

Yes.  But then, with bufferpools, every element needed to be fixed
to allocate buffers using the sink's bufferpools.  Only a few
actually implemented this.  Now, it's nearly trivial to add support
to elements, so I expect that by 0.8.0, a lot higher percentage
of elements will be using sinkpad-provided buffers.

dave...