[gst-devel] error explanation

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Jan 19 11:04:11 CET 2004

Hi,

I commited a short explanation of the error stuff.  I attached it as
well so you don't have to go hunting for it.

Some things still left to do:

a) NULL for message/debug will probably have to change to (NULL), but
I'd like access to different archs/compilers to check.
b) all errors marked TOO_LAZY need to move.  I have a good idea where I
want to move them, but I can also guess some people won't agree.  That's
why I'd like the plugin owners to look at their elements and let me know
how the errors marked TOO_LAZY would be classified according to them.  I
prefer to do this without adding (too much) error codes.
c) One thing I was sort of undecided on; if an element uses bytestream
and gets a read error, should this be a STREAM error or a RESOURCE error
?
d) Another thing I was undecided on; is a failure at encoding a stream a
LIBRARY error or a STREAM error ? Should it be seen on a case by case
basis, ie LIBRARY when it is the library which is clearly at fault, and
STREAM when something in the stream is not correct and cannot be encoded
?

Thomas

Ten generations of selective cross-breeding
and you still have a fat ass ?