[gst-devel] tags and metadata

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Fri Jan 23 05:25:03 CET 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Get over it.  You're the only one who thinks it is, and the reason you
> think so is because it's too hard to get right.  That's fine, but don't
> call it a bug because of it.  You just don't want to provide anything
> else than what you think is the One True Way.

What I want is some defined behaviour so that when someone comes up and
asks why something doesn't work I know why.
I'm not against adding that, I'm against not defining it.
If we define that streaminfo is extracted from the stream and not via
metadata and that length is streaminfo, I will make id3tag never set the
length tag. If we agree that streaminfo and metadata are just some
categories to make it easier for app writers to categorise the tags and
elements shouldn't care about it, then i'll just set length from id3tag.

The only thing that I don't want is "Let's just add something and see what
it means later".

> > And for the matter of "must provide in any case": Nautilus still doesn't
> > open archives like gmc in 1.4 did.
>
> So did you file a bug ? Right here it works fine with file-roller.

s/Nautilus/gnome-vfs/
And I've read an explanation of why it was taken out.

Benjamin