[gst-devel] tags and metadata

Mathrick mnews2 at wp.pl
Fri Jan 23 08:12:02 CET 2004

W liście z pią, 23-01-2004, godz. 16:57, Benjamin Otte pisze:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Mathrick wrote:
>
> > No. Suppose you have cube-shaped rock, you got from your friend. You can
> > change its metadata ("from") by saying it's from your parents, but by no
> > means you can change it's streaminfo ("shape") into "round". You can
> > _create_ rock with property "shape" == "round", but once it's set, you
> > cannot change it and claim rock to be the same one as you had earlier.
> > And what you think of setting "shape-streaminfo" as "shape-metadata" is
> > in fact you confusing putting label "this is *round* rock" with actually
> > changing its shape.
> >
> Yes, you're right. It wouldn't be a problem for the "rocktag" plugin. The
> "modellingclaytag" plugin however has sever problems.
> So unless you want to only define your tags for rocks, you're in some sort
> of trouble now.

Hmm, IMO setting shape of rock is job of "clayencoder", not
"modellingclaytag", whatever is the latter supposed to do ;)

> > Hmm, why? As long as it's transparent / internal / implicit /
> > documented, who cares how are tags named?
> >
> You want 2 length columns in your nautilus-media window?

No, I want to be able to preserve / add id3 tag "length". Nautilus-media
would know there are two types of tags, and choose better one (probably,
as Thomas says, the "length-streaminfo" as we trust our framework) to be
presented to the user. But Gnome-tag-editor would be still able to get
length-streaminfo _and_ set length-metadata.

Maciej

--
"Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"
   Maciej Katafiasz <mnews2 at wp.pl>