[gst-devel] requested pads

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Sun Jan 25 11:28:00 CET 2004

The agreed on method about how it's supposed to work was:
- ALWAYS pads exists as long as the element exists (the element keeps a
reference)
- SOMETIMES pads exist as long as the elements want. They might go away
without warning. Only the element should keep a reference. Note that the
element removing the pad means automatic unlinking.
- REQUEST pads exist as long as someone keeps a reference to it. The
element itself doesn't keep a reference. Normally the only reference is
the peer pad, so the pad goes a way when unlinking.

Unfortunately "supposed to work" != "how it works", so expect bugs there.

Benjamin